The F1 drivers?óÔé¼Ôäó and constructors?óÔé¼Ôäó championships will be decided in the Brazilian Grand Prix. Here?óÔé¼Ôäós how.
Lewis Hamilton is the favourite to win the title as he has a seven point lead over Felipe Massa.
Massa can only win the title if:
- He wins with Hamilton sixth or lower
- He finishes second with Hamilton eighth or lower (i.e., if Hamilton drops out of the race, Massa must finish in the top two to become champion)
Any other combination of finishes will make Hamilton the champion.
In the event of a tie, the title would go to the driver with the most wins. If they have the same number of wins, it would go to the driver with the most second places, and so on. Here are the number of top eight finishes each has achieved so far:
Ferrari has an 11 point lead over McLaren, making them favourite to lift the constructors?óÔé¼Ôäó title.
There is a large number of permutations for how the championship could be decided which would be too complicated to go through now. But here are a few points worth remembering:
- Even if McLaren finish first and second, Ferrari could finish as low as fifth and sixth and still be champions.
- If either McLaren drops out of the race, Ferrari are automatically champions.
- If either Ferrari finishes first or second, Ferrari are champions.
In the event of a tie the same method is used to separate teams as for drivers. Here are the teams finishing records this year: