Lewis Hamilton was fastest in Friday’s second practice session at Abu Dhabi.
The McLaren driver was a quarter of a second quicker around the 5.5km track than Sebastian Vettel.
With Fernando Alonso third and Mark Webber fourth all four championship contenders were in the top four.
Alonso made the early running in the session, lapping quickest while the drivers were still using medium tyres.
But when the teams switched to the super-soft compound Hamilton went fastest. However a spin for Jaime Alguersuari brought out the yellow flags, meaning some drivers had to abort their laps.
Hamilton had one hiccup in the session when he came across Bruno Senna’s HRT at speed. He went off at the penultimate corner then swerved around the HRT to get into the pit lane.
Other drivers found that purposefully running wide in the final corners was a useful aid to getting a faster lap time.
Late in the session Felipe Massa came to a halt in the Ferrari. He was heard on the radio broadcast saying the car had run out of fuel.
The Renaults of Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov were fifth and seventh fastest.
Michael Schumacher was 11th, just two-hundredths of a second slower than Nico Rosberg, but unhappy at being held up by a Force India driver late in the session.
|2||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1’41.145||0.257||28|
|4||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1’41.315||0.427||29|
|9||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1’42.203||1.315||31|
|13||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1’42.535||1.647||21|
|17||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’43.128||2.240||17|
|18||16||Sebastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1’43.584||2.696||33|
|22||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||1’46.053||5.165||29|
2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: the complete F1 Fanatic race weekend review
- Drivers’ and teams’ end-of-season photographs
- Alonso’s role in Ferrari strategy revealed in pit messages
- Hamilton: McLaren learned a lot in 2010
- Button vows to address qualifying weakness
- Vettel ends season on a high to snatch title
- Ferrari hit back at criticism of race strategy
- McLaren rediscover their form at final race
- New engines help Renault to best result of 2010
- Schumacher not blaming Rosberg for crash