Felipe Massa says the new medium tyre being introduced by Pirelli this weekend is similar to the hard tyre used earlier this year.
Massa said: “If I had to sum up the new tyre, I would say it is very much like the original hard tyre we had from Pirelli earlier this season.
“After a few races, they changed it, making it harder still and this medium feels like the original hard.
“The Ferrari engineers have been working intensely on adapting the car to suit the tyres, as we have struggled more with the harder end of the compound range and we will test again a modified suspension to try and make it more suited to them.”
The original hard tyre was used in the first four races of the year.
Massa expects the Drag Reduction System will make overtaking easier at the Valencia street track, which has seen little passing in recent years:
“One of the criticisms of this street circuit was that it turned out to be very difficult to overtake other cars, but this year we have the [DRS] and, like in Canada, we have two DRS zones where we can operate it.
“For sure, this will change the characteristics of the race, making it much easier to overtake. However, you have to do everything you can to ensure your car is competitive throughout the whole race, because this is the direction we have seen things go this year, in that if you are not competitive then it is very easy to lose places to other cars.
“In the past, before DRS, even if your car was slower than the one behind, you could defend your position more easily, keeping the car behind and not getting passed.”
2011 European Grand Prix
- 2011 European Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your driver of the European GP weekend
- Red Bull: “Rules changed but not the result”
- Ferrari: Alonso says Red Bull up to a second faster
- McLaren: Only third-fastest in Valencia
- Mercedes: Schumacher takes blame for collision
- Toro Rosso: Alguersuari bounces back
- Sauber: Perez nearly grabs a point with one-stopper
- Renault: Boullier unhappy with single point
- Force India: Sutil cracks the top ten
Image ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo