There’s so much going on at a Grand Prix weekend that the televisions cameras are never going to be able to capture all of it.
F1 fans are better equipped than ever to capture footage from race weekends and their videos can give a better sense of what it’s like to see a race first-hand than the television broadcasts do.
Here is some of the best amateur footage from the Belgian Grand Prix weekend.
Practice three at McLaren
One lucky fan captured this film inside the McLaren garage as Jenson Button headed out to join in the Saturday practice session:
Out on the track, this F1 fan got almost as close to the cars. “Sometimes bronze is better than a gold ticket,” he said:
More footage from practice, the audio on this clip shows off the off-throttle blowing on the cars very clearly:
Qualifying at Eau Rouge
Drivers tackle a damp Eau Rouge at the start of qualifying in this high-quality clip:
Fabio Leimer’s GP2 crash
Fabio Leimer crashed hard coming out of Eau Rouge and Raidillon during the GP2 sprint race on Saturday morning.
The enormous shunt was missed by the television cameras, but the scale of the impact is made clear in this video. You can even see the rear wheel assembly come off the back of the car in one piece.
Leimer, thankfully, was unhurt. Here’s what happened:
A proper, old-fashioned drivers’ parade with vintage cars – that’s what we like to see:
High quality footage of the start, with Mark Webber struggling to get away and a smoky Nico Rosberg getting off to a flier.
Lap 1 La Source
It all goes a bit wrong at La Source as Bruno Senna harpoons Jaime Alguersuari and nearly takes Fernando Alonso out too.
Lap 1 Eau Rouge
Up to Eau Rouge, where Senna takes to the run-off with his front wing missing.
Were you at Spa, and shot some videos of your own? Share them in the comments below.
If you’re going to any of this year’s remaining races you can find other fans who are here:
- 2011 Italian Grand Prix discussion
- 2011 Singapore Grand Prix discussion
- 2011 Japanese Grand Prix discussion
- 2011 Korean Grand Prix discussion
- 2011 Indian Grand Prix discussion
- 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix discussion
- 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix discussion
2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- In the Paddock Club and in the stands at Spa
- Leimer’s crash and in the pits at McLaren – fans’ videos from Spa
- 2011 Belgian Grand Prix: complete race review
- Vote for your Belgian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Newey relieved after “scariest race ever”
- McLaren: Button hit by debris in first-lap scare
- Ferrari: Harder tyres still the car’s weakness
- Mercedes: Schumacher climbs 19 places to fifth
- Renault: Petrov buoyed by R31 upgrades
Images ?é?® McLaren, Drew Gibson/GP2 Media Service