Kimi Raikkonen will return to Formula 1 in 2012 with Renault.
The team, which is set to become Lotus, announced on Tuesday the 2007 world champion would join them for next season.
Raikkonen, who last raced in Formula 1 with Ferrari in 2009, signed a two-year deal with the team.
Raikkonen said: “I?óÔéĽÔäóm delighted to be coming back to Formula 1 after a two-year break, and I?óÔéĽÔäóm grateful to Lotus Renault GP for offering me this opportunity.
“My time in the World Rally Championship has been a useful stage in my career as a driver, but I can?óÔéĽÔäót deny the fact that my hunger for F1 has recently become overwhelming.
“It was an easy choice to return with Lotus Renault GP as I have been impressed by the scope of the team?óÔéĽÔäós ambition. Now I?óÔéĽÔäóm looking forward to playing an important role in pushing the team to the very front of the grid.?óÔéĽ?Ř
Gerard Lopez, chairman of teams owners Genii, said: “All year long, we kept saying that our team was at the start of a brand new cycle. Backstage we?óÔéĽÔäóve been working hard to build the foundations of a successful structure and to ensure that we would soon be able to fight at the highest level.
“Kimi?óÔéĽÔäós decision to come back to Formula 1 with us is the first step of several announcements which should turn us into an even more serious contender in the future. Of course, we are all looking forward to working with a world champion. On behalf of our staff, I?óÔéĽÔäód like to welcome Kimi to Enstone, a setting that has always been known for its human approach to Formula 1.”
Raikkonen’s return means a record six world champions will compete alongside each other. He joins Sebastian Vettel, Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher.
More information on the 2012 F1 season.
2012 F1 season
- Hulkenberg’s missed win should have been “high point” for Force India
- Kubica reveals he almost withdrew from fateful 2011 rally – and had 2012 Ferrari F1 deal
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
- 11 different Driver of the Weekend winners in 2012
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles