A video shot by a fan (above) has revealed the shocking aerial crash suffered by WEC driver Matevos Isaakyan during last weekend’s Spa Six Hours.
The full extent of the shunt, in which Isaakyan was unhurt, was not seen during the broadcast of the race (below). It was the second for a BR1 driver on that part of the circuit during the race weekend. Pietro Fittipaldi suffered leg fractures when he crashed his DragonSpeed-run car earlier in the same corner during qualifying.
Last weekend’s race was the debut for the BR Engineering-designed prototype. Isaakyan’s SMP Racing team mates Vitaly Petrov and Mikhail Aleshin drove the third BR1 entered for the race and finished fifth. Jenson Button will join this car for the Le Mans 24 Hours later this month.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
World Endurance Championship
- Ferrari reveal 499P Hypercar for return to top flight sportscar racing
- Information overload? Which motorsport series has the most effective TV graphics package?
- First IndyCar, next stop Formula E and WEC? Why McLaren is branching out beyond F1
- Ricciardo nearly joined 2015 Le Mans-winning car
- Toyota take third consecutive Le Mans victory as LMP1 era ends