The FIA have confirmed their internal investigation into the final laps of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is still ongoing.Max Verstappen passed Lewis Hamilton on the last lap, winning the race and the championship, after F1 an unusual application of Safety Car restart rules by race director Michael Masi.
Just over two weeks since confirming that the inquiry into the finish of the race had begun, the FIA has released a new statement confirming that their investigation remains ongoing, and teams will not be briefed on its findings for another two weeks.
“At this stage, no decision has been taken on the outcome of the detailed analysis currently underway into the events of the last Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix,” the statement read.
“As previously announced, the findings of this detailed analysis will be presented at the Fl Commission meeting in London on 14th February after an open discussion with all F1 drivers and then finally have to be approved at the World Motor Sport Council meeting on 18th March in Bahrain, under the authority of FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem.”
The FIA’s announcement follows reports of an interview Bayer conducted with Austrian newspaper Vorarlberger Nahrichten in which he indicated there was a “possibility” that Masi would be replaced as the race director for Formula 1 grands prix.
“Michael did a super job in many ways,” Bayer said. “We definitely don’t want to lose him. We told him that, but also that there is a possibility that there could be a new race director. I can only make suggestions to the World Council and they will definitely include Michael.”
The outcome of the FIA’s investigation into the race which decided last year’s world championship has attracted significant attention. Reports elsewhere claimed Masi’s future could be decided as early as next week.
However the FIA’s newest statement reaffirmed that the findings from their investigation will be presented to the body’s F1 commission – a representative group of stakeholders connected to Formula 1, including teams – at a meeting scheduled for February 14th. The FIA will then announce their final decisions and actions from the investigation at meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Bahrain on Friday 18th March – the day of first practice for the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Masi says he received “death threats” over months after Abu Dhabi controversy
- Masi did make mistake with title-deciding Abu Dhabi GP restart, Horner admits
- Williams fined for late submission of budget cap documents
- The omission in the FIA’s Abu Dhabi report which may store up trouble for the future
- New insights but notable omissions in Drive to Survive’s account of F1’s 2021 finale