Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz Jnr say they are happy with their qualifying results despite being beaten to pole by Red Bull’s Sergio Perez.
Despite missing out on a second consecutive pole by 0.025 seconds, Leclerc said he got the best he could out of his final qualifying lap.
“The lap felt good honestly,” said Leclerc. “I am very happy with the lap.
“All qualifying, it was about just keeping it on track and not making any mistakes which would have been very costly and then in Q3, on the second lap, I just went for it and I more or less put everything together.
“There’s a bit here and there, but I definitely did not expect Checo to come with that lap time so congratulations to him and I’m pretty sure he did an incredible job today.”
Sainz had been ahead of Leclerc in Q3 until the championship leader was able to improve on his final lap of the session. Sainz says he is anticipating an “exciting race” between Ferrari and Red Bull on Sunday.
“The lap for P3 was pretty good,” Sainz said. “It was on a used tyre, because the used tyre this weekend for some reason is giving me a better feeling.
“The new tyre, for me, is very tricky to handle and when I went on new for the last run of Q3, I just didn’t have any rear grip and I struggled. So for a used tyre, it wasn’t that bad, but again Checo and Charles beat me by a little bit so, it’s still okay.
“It’s going to be exciting, all four cars mixed up between the Ferraris and Red Bulls. So we will play around with each other with strategy and passes and it should be an exciting race.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix
- Vettel will return to race for Aston Martin at Australian Grand Prix
- No decision on Vettel’s return until Friday – Aston Martin
- Jeddah defines track changes in response to drivers’ safety concerns
- “Minimal” changes to Jeddah track for second Saudi Arabian Grand Prix
- Imola replaces China as F1 confirms 23-race calendar for 2022 season